WHO’s model is based on data from more than 3,000 rural and urban locations around the world. Human sources of air pollution include transportation, burning of fuel and waste, coal power plants and industrial activities. Natural sources include dust storms, particularly in regions close to deserts.
Pollutants include sulfate, nitrates and black carbon, which penetrate deep into the lungs and cardiovascular system. Breathing polluted air can lead to cardiovascular disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer and acute respiratory infection. More than 6 million annual deaths are caused by indoor or outdoor air pollution.
In September 2015, U.N. member countries adopted a set of Sustainable Development Goals. These include substantially reducing deaths and illnesses from air pollution over the next 15 years.
Agilent has more than 40 years of expertise in environmental analysis. Our solutions analyze and measure organic and inorganic chemicals in water, soil, air and food.
An Agilent GC/MS with Agilent Deconvolution Reporting Software can screen for 171 volatile organic air pollutants within minutes. Agilent has developed an air toxics database specifically for indoor pollutants.
Agilent has also developed a fast-responding mobile solution for on-site air pollutant analysis. The solution, which uses an Agilent mini Thermal Desorber and an Agilent LTM GC/MS, can test for more than 60 volatile organic compounds in 10-15 minutes.
Agilent also works aggressively on its own energy efficiency, with clean and renewable energy projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote environmental responsibility. For the seventh consecutive year, Agilent has been named one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World.
For more information go to:
- WHO releases country estimates on air pollution exposure and health impact (World Health Organization)
- Sustainable Development Goals (United Nations)
- Screening for 171 Volatile Organic Air Pollutants Using GC/MS with Deconvolution Reporting Software and a New Indoor Air Toxics Library (PDF Application Note)
- Detection of Volatile Organic Compounds in polluted air by an Agilent mini Thermal Desorber and an Agilent 5975T LTM GC/MS (PDF Application Note)
- Agilent Air Monitoring Solutions
- Agilent Corporate Citizenship Report